Home » In savage police assault, Pakistani journalist suffers rib injuries – BollyInside

In savage police assault, Pakistani journalist suffers rib injuries – BollyInside

by Arifa Rana

Best Smart Air Purifiers in 2022
Best True Wireless Earbuds
Best Bookshelf Speakers Under $200
Pakistan’s Punjab police assaulted and arrested journalist Jahangir Hayat and his family in retribution for his reporting on alleged police misconduct, leaving the media practitioner with rib injuries. The physical assault left Hayat with rib and neck injuries, as well as a traumatic experience for his daughter. Following the assault, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) called on Pakistani authorities to conduct a “quick and impartial investigation.” According to Hayat, the incident occurred as a result of his reporting on crime and alleged police misconduct. “Punjab police officers’ attack and incarceration of Jahangir Hayat, as well as their detention and intimidation of his family, shows the considerable dangers that Pakistani journalists confront for just performing their jobs,” CPJ Program Director Carlos Martinez de la Serna stated.
“Authorities must conduct an immediate and impartial investigation into this incident, hold the perpetrators accountable, and demonstrate that such attacks will not continue with impunity,” the Director added. Hayat told CPJ that he showed the officers his press card as a form of identification. He said that the officers recognized him and cursed at him with one office, whom Hayat identified as the station house officer of the Icchra Police Station, saying that he would “get rid of his journalism.”
Police officers in the Icchra area of Lahore, the capital of Punjab province, on May 1, assaulted and detained Hayat. Hayat is a chief reporter for the privately-owned daily newspaper Daily Business, according to a report by his outlet. It is also confirmed by the video of the incident shared on social media, and the journalist, who spoke with CPJ by phone. According to a media outlet report, local police detained Hayat’s wife and a seven-year-old daughter, keeping them in custody for about 45 minutes, as per the media outlet. Hayat and his family were released without any charges after a group of journalists gathered at the station’s gate, according to the report. After the assault on May 1, Hayat registered complaints against the officers on May 9 however, no action has been taken against them.
News Summary:
© Bollyinside | All rights reserved 2021.


0 comment

Related Posts

Leave a Comment